Watermelon is the one of the healthiest foods in the world to eat. The health benefits of watermelon are numerous.
Reasons to Eat Watermelon
- Watermelon is very hydrating. It is 92 percent water.
- Its water content helps to reduce inflammation which contributes to conditions like diabetes, asthma, arthritis and colon cancer.
- It is considered one of the best foods for weight loss, because it is a high volume food, meaning it takes up less space for very few calories.
- Watermelon is an excellent source of lycopene. In many studies, lycopene has shown to reduce the risk of prostate cancer.
- It is a good source of vitamin C and vitamin A.
- Watermelon is rich in B vitamins- B1 and B6, magnesium, potasium, and thiamin.
- The potassium content helps to clean toxic deposits in the kidney.
- Watermelon contains beta-cryptoxanthin. Beta-cryptoxanthin has shown to reduce the risk of lung cancer and in another study, it provided a reduction in the risk of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Watermelon is high in citrulline, an amino acid our bodies use to make another amino acid called arginine. This aids to help remove ammonia from the body. Our cells use it in lining our blood vessels to make nitric oxide. Nitric oxide relaxes the blood vessels, helps to lower high blood pressure and promote overall cardiovascular function.
- It has shown that watermelon consumption reduces atherosclerosis in animals.
- Watermelon consumption is associated with protection against macular degeneration.
- The rinds are also filled with good nutrients and are excellent for juicing.
- Watermelon seeds are rich in protein and other nutrients such as calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorous, and potassium.
- Watermelons are great for moving the lymphatic system.
In 2011, a study conducted by University of Kentucky showed that watermelon consumption was shown to reduce atherosclerosis and fat mass in rats. Atherosclerosis is hardening of the arteries.
Yogi and medicine expert, Dharma Singh Khalsa, M.D., says he went on a watermelon fast for three days. He said “I was very tuned in and meditating very deeply. This was one of the greatest highs I have ever experienced.”
Watermelon has been given a bad reputation in the diet world because of having a high glycemic index of 72. However, its glycemic load, is only a 4. Unless your doctor tells you to avoid watermelon, there is no reason not to eat it.
Always eat melons alone. Do not combine them with any other foods, fruits or vegetables.
Watermelon is healthy!