Hemp seeds are awesome. Have you tried them yet? Don’t worry they won’t get you stoned. Hemp seeds are one of the most nutritious foods ever. They are an ideal food source for raw foodies and vegans but I think everyone should be eating these.
8 Reasons to Eat Hemp Seeds
- They taste really good in almost everything! They have a nutty flavor. You can add a few spoons to your smoothies, salads, soups, oatmeal, puddings, cereals, dressings and use them in raw recipes.
- Hemp seeds are a nutritionally complete food. They contain all of the essential amino acids and all 20 amino acids.
- Hemp seeds are easily digestible and do not cause the bloating and gas like other proteins. 3 tablespoons of hemp seeds equals 11 grams of protein.
- There are two types of protein in hemp seeds, 65 % is edestin and 35% is albumin. Edestin protein is very close to our body’s own globular protein in our blood plasma. Albumin is also a high quality protein.
- Hemp seeds are the most balanced sources of essential fatty acids with an omega 6 to 3 ratio of 3:1. Most experts concur the ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 should be consumed in the range of 1:1 to 5:1 get the maximum benefit. Omega 3’s can help to reduce inflammation, lower your risk for cancer, arthritis, heart disease, improve brain function and be helpful for people with atherosclerois. The gamma-linolenic acid can help reduce nerve pain in diabetics too.
- The extracts from hemp seeds can help to improve memory and learning. They help to stimulate calcineurin which is a brain enzyme that plays a key role in brain synapse activity. A study at the University of Michigan showed that calcineurin increased both immune and brain function in mice.
- Hemp seeds are excellent for your digestive system. The seeds have a bulking and laxative effect. This cleans the walls of your colon.
- Hemp seeds contain glutamic acid. This is a neurotransmitter that helps us deal with work related and psychological stress.
You can find raw shelled hemp seeds at health food stores and also online. Remember to store them in the refrigerator after opening.
Feel free to share this post with others by clicking the share button.